I have a strange feeling that I won’t get a lot of radio done this weekend! As it’s my 50th birthday I have a feeling I will be otherwise engaged.
I’ve had loads of messages already from friends around the world (as far as Ramsey and Belfast!!) thank you one and all 🙂
I have a nit of a do to go to tonight – organised by my bestie (and wife!) Rosemary. I can’t thank you enough for marrying me, you have always been there for me and words can’t express just how grateful I am xxxxx I love you to infinity and beyond!
Ahh well, one day she may see that post!!
Enough, for now – back soon, but birthday CD’s are taking priority right now 🙂
It’s been very busy here for some time, but I hope that I can start this year with a return to operating from home.
The shack is in need of a revamp – it’s far too full of stuff that has accumulated to the point that I can hardly get to the work bench. The time has come for a clearout and a new bench layout for the shack.
I still have the majority of my radios, predominantly Icom of course, the Elecraft K3 and a few DMR from Hytera and Tytera.
I’ll try to updat this blog a bit more often… it’s far to far out of date lol
Training course dates: Saturday and Sunday 21 and 22 May
and Saturday and Sunday 28/29 May 2016. Please arrive around 9.30am for a 10am start.
The Foundation Exam will be on the afternoon of the 29 May. (Approx. 4pm)
The venue for training and exam will be the Civil Defence Training Rooms at the Civil Defence HQ in Douglas (88 Woodbourne Road). Please bring a copy of “Foundation Now!”, a packed lunch, and pens/paper. For the exam – you must also bring photographic ID (Driving Licence, Passport, etc. which should show your home address.
No candidate will be allowed to sit the exam without ID and payment in full of the exam fee of £27.50
We currently have 15 candidates for the Foundation course and exam. Training will take about a day and a half, but those who wish may attend both training weekends if…
Been a busy day today, setting up for the IOMARS Special Event Station from Douglas Lifeboat House. It was nice to see a big turnout of members to help setup the antenna and get the station ready for this weeks events.
I’ll mention names and call signs:
We were made very welcome by the Lifeboat Operations Manager and some of the crew who were doing their regular Sunday morning excercise after being out on the Sir William Hillary the night before to a car over the cliff at Marine Drive.
Hopefully the 25 or so contacts in less than two hours is a reflection on what we will get during the week. We will be operating mainly HF bands (40m and 20m) but will also be workable through GB3IM (analogue VHF) and GB7CA (digital VHF) repeaters.
Thanks to everyone who called in, and good luck to all the other lifeboat stations around the UK.
Well I bit the bullet and bought some Digital Mobile Radios… I’ve opted for the Chinese manufactured Hytera radios, simply based on price and ease of programming/use.
To start with I bought the MP-685 hand portable. Very robust, and well, solid!! I’ve fitted the 4×4 with a MD-785 mobile radio. First impressions are WOW! Audio is so much better than amateur radios I’ve installed in the past.
Time will tell and hopefully following the installation of the two new DMR repeaters by Dave GD4HOZ and Ed GD6XHG we will have a decent spread of coverage over the island.
As I’m still off work recovering, I’m playing a little bit with radios and settings, so hopefully more to follow on this subject shortly 🙂
My Watson weather station has now had a full overhaul, and after being tested for the last month or so is now fully operational once again. Problems with the rain gauge and anemometer AND the wireless link have foxed me for some time but are now hopefully all resolved.
I do have to remount the vane at some point on the shed again, but this should be done by the weekend – that means tomorrow 😉
Put this half of the radio to one side – we will need it again later ;o)
After removing the antenna tuner the plug sealing the antenna socket (2m/4m) needs to be removed. It’s a bit of a tight space but with some gentle persuasion it eventually comes out. So far so good.
Next job – remove the filter board (if fitted) and put to one side.
Filter board removed, the antenna socket can just be seen (left of the capacitor) Micro connectors are very fiddly – I had to use a plastic pen to make the connector mate securely!
A closeup of the connector – with coax connected.
After a bit of fiddling and disconnection/reconnection of cables, the 4m transverter board can be fitted above the reinstalled antenna tuner. New spacers were installed to provide the required separation. The small piece of coax in the front right of the shot is the antenna connection to the transverter board.
Almost there! Everything checked for completeness, antenna cables routed around toroids and boards checked for tightness.
Shield fitted on to transverter board and marked as 4m.
Reattach front panel – the ribbon connector fits a lot better than some radios I’ve had apart! The battery connector was very fiddly and miniature pointy nose pliers came to good use 🙂
After a bit of menu twiddling and tweaking – result!! The KX3 repowered up with 70MHX (4m) transverter fitted and working. Next job will be to build up the 4m Innovantenna Beam which I bought last summer… you can’t rush these things ya know!!
Overall I reckon I spent a couple of hours at the bench installing the transverter. For me that was quite slow but bearing in mind how sore my hands are at the moment it’s acceptable. Hopefully sometime this week I will sort out an on air test.